David Tennant & Matt Smith shared a stage yesterday at Wizard World’s New York City The Doctors. There is only one question to ask about this phenomenon….What Took So Long???
The obvious highlight of the day was the Dual Panel Q&A hosted beautifully by Aaron Sagers, who has moderated panels with both David & Matt in the past, though never together. There were lots of audience questions about favourites…..favourite companions, favourite monsters & favourite episodes….even a question about favourite memories from childhood. Watching Matt & David answer was a study of their unique approaches to the character of their own Doctors. Matt is impulsive & just jumps on a question. Sometimes he answers all over the place & cracks himself up, he is delightful to watch! David is a thinker. Just like the 10th Doctor he will think his answers through to their consequences….sometimes he thinks out loud which is a fun thing to behold….but if his answer will cause any sort of conflict he gracefully dances right out of the question. Sound familiar??
Some highlights of the audience Q&A:
* David & Matt were comparing their starts as the Doctor. David was saying what a big deal it was when Matt did his very 1st scene. There were people everywhere, it was a huge changing of the guard & Matt of course “did it magnificently”. But David’s beginnings were quite different. It was a big secret, he was “smuggled into Cardiff” & they had to shake off the “dust covers” from the sets, “Billie Piper was just gaffer tape on the floor.”
* Matt stated that he felt so much pressure, he would walk down the street & people would say to him “Don’t break Doctor Who!”
* They both mentioned the huge sense of responsibility the show rests upon its lead actors. The 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi has spoken with both of them over the past 2 years. David said: “We are a very small little self-help group, such an odd & wonderful thing to be a part of….but it’s quite unique, there is nothing really like it….maybe the captains of the Starship Enterprise do the same thing….I don’t think they do!”
* When asked by a fan if the 10th & 11th Doctor could get back together via a Big Finish audio book both Matt & David stated an emphatic Yes!! It is possible. Matt said that “especially in this universe, anyone can come back!!”
* Matt said David’s Doctor was a “swashbuckler, a real hero & David brought hair” to the role…which David immediately retorted “I brought hair???”
* David stated that Matt brought a “bewildered innocence” to his Doctor.
* When asked where they would go if they could get their hands on the TARDIS, Matt quickly answered he would grab Marilyn Monroe & Frank Sinatra, go watch England win the World Cup in 1966, get Sinatra to sing then kick him out & take Marilyn to the moon. David was shocked.
* The duo was then asked about their ideas of an actor that would make a good Doctor, Matt quickly replied Peter Sellers!! David didn’t take too long answering Bradley Whitford, who is Josh from The West Wing. “Do you know Bradley Whitford?? He’s my American Doctor!”
* David & Matt were speaking about roles that they have lost or had almost landed….although David is very cautious about giving too much information here, Matt is not. Matt & Karen Gillan (Amy Pond) 1st met auditioning for roles in another series. They both were in the top 2 picks for the roles when they found out they had been chosen for Doctor Who. The other series they were up for was Merlin.
* David almost had a role in the series Spooks when it was first starting.
* David thinks there may be a Doctor Who story in the early days of the Beatles….then Matt suggested that the Doctor actually wrote all the Beatles songs & went out & found a bunch of guys off the street to be the band for him.
* David wants a pair of sonic sunglasses!!!!
Let’s hope that David & Matt will join each other on stage again in the near future….& how about a Big Finish audio book with both the 10th & 11th Doctor???? Now that sounds like a phenomenon waiting to happen!!!
Check out our next post for more great new pictures of the Two Doctors.